Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 3, 2009

The BIG One


Kathryn Grace Stoecker arrived in all her glory Saturday May 2, 2009 at 9 a.m. She weighed in at 10 lbs 11 oz and is 22 inches long. Yes, she is bigger than Lizzie was & she is much more calm & sleepy then her big sister. She has short brown hair all over her head where Lizzie's grew just on top & she arrived via c-section.
I had an ultrasound on Friday that estimated her weight at 10.6 lbs and after talking things over with Dr. Kells my midwife, Janice called to let me know my options & to fill me in on some of the risks that go along with a baby that big. Basically we could either continue waiting for things to happen naturally or we could have a c-section. Mark & I discussed it & decided that the inconvenience of recovering from a c-section was more worthwhile then any risk of injury to the baby so we decided to do the surgery. We got scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Saturday morning & felt REALLY good about our decision. Mark would've felt better with a later appointment time but I was SUPER anxious to have my little girl here. We arrived to check in at 6:30 in the morning & after a little bit of paperwork & surgery prep I walked to the OR at 8:15 to get my spinal block. At 9 a.m. exactly she was here! She cried & scored a 9 on both her APGAR tests and Mark went with her to the nursery while I got myself put back together.
We've been having a REALLY great stay in the hospital, the nurses and aides are taking really great care of us. We may be going home tomorrow & I am feeling pretty ready. I miss Jay & Lizzie and because of the swine flu they haven't been able to come visit us in the hospital. They have seen pictures & Lizzie was pretty sad yesterday when she couldn't come but they are excited to meet their baby sister.
I am so happy & grateful that everything turned out so great & that Katy is here safe & sound. We are still having an adjustment period (for some reason I can't stop comparing her to Lizzie, she is SOOO different!) and I am excited to have her home & get back to life.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

love that fat baby!!!

Marian and Sadie said...

She is soooooo big! You guys had a three month old. We can't wait to meet her. We wont come visit until next week some time because Marian sick but when she is feeling better we will visit.

All our love,

AJ and Marian

Marian and Sadie said...

MORE PICTURES PLEASE!!!!!!!!

The Laidlaws said...

Congratulations Maggie!!! I am so sorry I haven't congratulated you sooner! Katy is so cute and chubby, I'm so happy for you! I hope your recovery is going well. So fun that we have babies only one week apart! I am completely serious when I say we are setting our kids up on a date someday. Wouldn't it be fun if we got to be Grandmas of the same kids!?!?!?! We gotta make it happen! =) (Jacob & Katy, ooooo, that sounds good!) Love you and miss you and I'm so happy everything went well. =)